A Veteran-Owned Law Firm Serving Virginia, West Virginia And Ohio

What can you do if the other parent misses custody exchanges?

On Behalf of | Apr 3, 2024 | Child Custody

Although your existing custody agreement might specify what time with your children will look like, parents deviate from these orders all the time. Sometimes their inability to abide by an existing order is attributable to an unavoidable emergency or change in circumstances, but in many instances, parents refuse to abide by them out of spite for the other parent. This is often seen when one parent refuses to stick to the timing of custody exchanges.

What can you do if you’re constantly battling with the other parent over pick-up and drop-off times? Let’s look at how to get a handle on this situation.

How to deal with a parent who fails to abide by custody exchange orders

When you’re dealing with this issue, you shouldn’t let it slide. Instead, do the following:

  • Have an honest dialogue with the other parent to try to identify why they’re failing to abide by the agreement or order that’s in place.
  • Reduce everything to writing so that you have documentation to refer to in the event that further disagreements or court hearings arise.
  • Document each time that the other parent fails to show up for drop-off or pick-up times, being detailed in the circumstances, the timing, and the excuses provided.
  • Consider seeking a custody modification that would eliminate the issue altogether.

Ensure your custody order supports your child’s best interests

A parent who can’t abide by custody exchanges can reduce the amount of time that you get to spend with your child and can cause emotional harm to your child. This isn’t in your child’s best interests. So, if you’re dealing with this issue, then don’t hesitate to take action to try to remedy it.